Raspberry Pi 5 setup

I set one of tonight and had a few questions and comments.

It looks like the image runs a full desktop, it that right?
Is there any recommend overclocking?

With the desktop it makes it much easier to change the settings to link to your own hotspot settings (you don’t have you use the default one)

The boot time and linking time to the KrakenSDR is MUCH quicker!

It looks like the image does not like to fully shutdown, it starts the shutdown sequence but never fully completes it.

I’m excited to use it on the next fox hunt to see if there is any other performance gains

Thanks for trying the new image. It’s still in beta, but for me it’s been working fine so far.

Yes it runs the full desktop. A few customers requested the desktop on the Pi 4, but I didn’t want to activate that because then customers might run other programs like the web browser and end up congesting the CPU so much that Kraken samples are lost and hence coherence is lost too. Then people end up wondering why the Kraken doesn’t work well.

But on the Pi 5 we have enough processing power that that shouldn’t be an issue.

I did notice restart and shutdown issues too, but that’s all to do with the Raspbian OS image, and not the Kraken.

Versus the Pi 4 you shouldn’t notice any difference in DoA performance. The Pi 4 already runs the DoA code at full speed. The main advantage is going to be a more snappy UI and faster boot.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply and confirming the information.

I just picked up a Pi5 8GB as well. CPU cooler arrived and getting ready to out it to the test. Hopefully this is more reliable than the Pi48GB was.

So far mine has been noticeable better in every way.

I’ve been having an issue connecting to my local network with the Pi5. I followed the standard wpa_supplicant instructions on the Pi4 and it linked right up, but for some reason the Pi5 is refusing to do it. I put my network credentials into the config, and typically it will encrypt the password and save it back to disk, but it doesn’t anymore. This is on a fresh image that I flashed last night. Running over the default hotspot, I can access the machine through SSH and the kraken software runs perfectly fine.

I am just out of the box here. PI5 with downoaded image, talking to android phone, at least I wish it was.

I have the hotspot set up with “krakensdr” as username and password.

First question: 2.4 ghz or 5? Does it matter?..

I see one white light on the sdr for power, no noise light. The sdr is connected to one of the four usb a ports on the pi. Both the pi and the sdr are running from the same power bank which is at 96%

I never see the pi connecting to my hotspot, and the android app tells me nothing

How to debug the hotspot connection?

If you connect a monitor to your Pi5 you will load to a desktop (assume your using the supplied image), in the upper right hand corner will be all your wifi settings. You can configure your wifi from there. I have not been successful in any other way to get the Pi5 to connect to wifi.

Ok, apparently I downloaded a 4 only image.

I was really hoping to avoid that. I’m sure I could disable that network manager, but it would be so much better to drop in one file and it just work, like it did before. Oh well.

Ok where does the Pi5 image live?

Well, I think I have it running. Sane spectrum anyway.
More fun tomorrow when I leave the secret underground lair and go mobile

wpa_supplicant is no longer used on Bookworm, which the latest Raspbian used for the Pi5 image is based on. You’ll need to configure it through the UI now.