SMA connector solder strength

Hi,

Just a little observation that the SMA connectors in my unit needed reflowing as the SM soldering couldn’t stand modest tightening from my sma torque spanner and they broke loose - my spanner is no longer calibrated, but I can’t believe it is that far off spec. I wonder if TTH connectors would be more robust to torque and low temperature reflow?

Cyprien

Through hole ones mean a much taller and heavy enclosure, plus manual soldering work, so it gets expensive. The SMT SMA should not easily break off though with every day forces.

Were yours soldered on both sides?

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The connector was soldered on both sides. The bond between the board and the solder was good but there was a perfectly clean break with the surface of the connector so the bond was weak. Otherwise I noted the nut and washer were loose. Great product other than this small issue.

Cyprien

Hi,

I bought a second one, and now I understand your question about whether it is soldered on both sides. My first receiver was soldered to the left and right but not on the back of the PCB. The new model seems to be hand soldered on the other side of the PCB with a large pool as well as the reflow on the main side - this arrangemnet seems much more robust!

On a separate but related note - on a second unit I notice the case is now different and has some holes which are useful, but the outer dimensions have changed - is there a changelog of the hardware modifications?

Regards

Cyprien

We will add this drawing to the wiki shortly.