Rtl_daq Failed to open RTL-SDR device: Resource temporarily unavailable

Hello,
I find myself in the context of a recently acquired KrakenSDR (via Crowd Supply), and I’m attempting to setup the DOA solution.

The purpose of this thread is to describe a situation where running ‘heimdall_daq_fw/Firmware/daq_start_sm.sh’ shows that ‘_daq_core/rtl_daq.out’ returns very soon and reports that it has failed to open device, resource is unavailable.

More Information Below, thanks.

The setup is as follows:

• 1 KrakenSDR connected to five antennas, “POWER” connected to a 4A-capable USB-C source and “DATA” connected to the USB(most probably 3, maybe 2) port of a Raspberry Pi 4B.
  • The Raspberry Pi4B is powered via the USB-C port to a 300mA-capable power source
  • The Raspberry Pi 4B has an SD Card with the minimal Raspberry 64-bit image (uname -r outputs “6.1.0-rpi8-rpi-v8”) and 8GB RAM.

The installation has been done by running ‘krakensdr_aarch64_install_doa.sh’ twice.
The first time I probably missed some errors, the second time somehow the conda environment was left very well installed/configured, but the following actions were taken.

1. Manually install what in GitHub - krakenrf/krakensdr_doa are called the prerequisites - I was just checking if they were there and I found they were not.
    sudo apt -y install nodejs jq rustc cargo
    cargo install miniserve
    In particular rustc from apt was at version 1.63 and some dependency required >=1.65 so it was installed from the official installer script which used version 1.76.0.

2. When “making” _daq_core some file (I believe it was rtl_daq.c) was importing “rtl-sdr_export.h” unsuccessfully, therefore I opened the Makefile and
    2.1) Uncommented the optimization flags for Pi 4, the line is as follows
    CFLAGS=-Wall -std=gnu99 -mcpu=cortex-a72 -mtune=cortex-a72 -Ofast -funsafe-math-optimizations -I/home/myusername/krakensdr_doa/heimdall_daq_fw/Firmware/_daq_core -funroll-loops
    2.2) Please note in the line above that I have added in the includes the _daq_core path so that the headers are found. That’s all!

3. After running ‘kraken_doa_start.sh’
    The server on port 8081 seems to be working O.K.
    The server on port 8080 is not listening, but I understand there is probably some blocking event that has not been completed yet. This is why I focused on the Firmware section:

4. Manually running ‘sudo env “PATH=$PATH” ./Firmware/daq_start_sm.sh’ after having activated the conda environment obviously allows us to focus on only producing firmware-related logs.
    The relevant unit that seems to be failing is called ‘rtl_daq.out’ and it produces the following log:

13:13:54 FATAL rtl_daq.c:566: Failed to open RTL-SDR device: Resource temporarily unavailable

More Info:

• Balena etching the raspi4 image provided on the Mega repository yielded a system that was never registering to my KrakenAndroid/KrakenAndroid mobile hotspot :frowning:
  • My memory is not the best on this, but I’m pretty confident that ‘daq_synthetic_start.sh’ works O.K. and ‘unit_test.sh’ reports its own problems. Should I update on this point?
  • also please note that ‘lsusb’ does not display a new line after connecting KrakenSDR’s data port - this was tested on both the Raspberry Pi 4B device and a laptop with Ubuntu 20 installed. On the other hand, other USB devices were plugged to the Raspberry pi 4B to confirm the USB port is working O.K.
  • The cable used is data-capable
  • I am aware of the warning posted on Script/manual installs from May 3 may have been buggy on ARM devices, the md5sum of the krakensdr_aarch64_install_doa.sh used is f0c8453bbf934a168e226e8729b33488. I will soon check if it’s the latest one or not, thanks.

Final Comment:
In a couple of days, if nothing concrete is obtained from this discussion, I will rebuild manually from source on a flashed card to better pinpoint what is the issue.

Thank you all for your time :slight_smile:

Is that correct or a typo?

Please try delete all folders and run the script again. There was a minor error on the heimdall Makefile caused by an update that could have caused the _daq_core software to not compile correctly.

If you delete everything and run the script again it should download the updated Makefile for the install.

TLDR: Thanks to all, reinstallation (as suggested by @krakenrf_carl) fixed the problem. It was probably some error during _daq_core compilation that I did not spot. Apologies for not having been systematic enough to produce material (e.g. installation output logs) so that we can get more info. from this experience.

@KrakenRF
Typo, max current of 5V Raspberry Pi 4B supply is 1A at 5V.
KrakenSDR’s power supply is limited to 3A.

1 Like