Get your KrakenSDR Passive Radar up and running with Raspberry Pi 4B

After having received my KrakenSDR on 22 August 2022 I spent considerable time for understanding, building, making work and optimizing my KrakenSDR passive radar, kindly supported by krakenrf.com. My passive radar is now in fully working condition, providing me with stunning results.

In order to help you with your passive radar project I wrote a step-by-step guide:
KrakenSDR_Pi4_Passive_Radar_Step-by-Step.pdf

I may provide updates under this link from time to time. The current document version 1.9 is dated 25 October 2022.

• Document version 1.5 introduced a suggestion for a battery pack power supply on page 4 and a new chapter “Pushing the Clutter Limit” on page 18.

• Document version 1.6 complements “Pushing the Clutter Limit” with a common mode rejection balun to push the limit even further.

• Document version 1.7 improves on the various WiFi options (page 7ff) and adds a chapter about range on page 21.

• Document version 1.8 contains some remarks about the units of “Max Bistatic Range [km]” and “Max Doppler [Hz]”. See https://github.com/krakenrf/krakensdr_docs/wiki/08.-Passive-Radar#range-doppler-units for the bistatic distance and radial speed.

• Document version 1.9 is a cleaned-up version of version 1.8.

At https://www.redgo.ch/KrakenSDR/V1.3_Range_and_Radial_Speed.xlsx you will find an Excel spreadsheet to compute bistatic range and radial speed dependent on your KrakenSDR Passive Radar settings and readings, valid for KrakenSDR Pi 4 image V1.3.

3 Likes

@adrian This is superb. Thanks for sharing. In the coming weeks we should see more users here and we will be sure to highlight this document.

Really great write up! Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what was causing the equally spaced horizontal lines on my PR when using it at home. I thought it was due to some weird multipath effect or just some other rf source. Looks like I should get another power adapter. Thanks for that tip as well as all of the others!

With the Hama 210537 I got rid of the long horizontal lines. But there are still these very numerous horizontal spikes along the doppler axis. Their cause is not clear to me. Possibly some side effect of correlation processing?

Any chance that PDF is still available?

Sorry but I cannot make the PDF available any more.