Dell Wyse 5070 set up and implementation

I have a Dell Wyse 5070 with Ubuntu 22.04 I’m looking to set up for use with the Kraken. I’m confused reading through the documentation and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me through the process.

Beginning questions:

Do I still need to run a VM?

Do I just need to run the install scripts? Do I need Docker, the x86 64 Bit Systems script, or both from the Install scripts page? (here)

I ordered an Android tablet but it won’t be here for a week. Am I able to access the web GUI directly through the Wyse in the meantime?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I got a refurb’d 1-liter PC and installed Ubuntu 22.04. I tried to install the software by [blindly] following the scripts, but couldn’t get things running. On my ToDo list is to go back and try again, with a bit more intention.

I’m under the impression that you should be able to fire it up and access the configuration web page from the PC from any device with a web browser that can see the PC on your network. The Android phone/tablet is only required to run the mapping program, which is an Android app. OTOH, the configuration pages are just a regular-ol’ web page.

I run the config page in a browser alongside an SDR app on a laptop and the mapping app on an Android device. This way, I can find and monitor stations on the laptop from a separate SDR receiver, program the frequency of interest in the Kraken via the browser, and then see the signals on the Android device. (I don’t do all this while driving, however :slight_smile: )

Do I still need to run a VM?

No you can run it natively on the 5070

Do I just need to run the install scripts? Do I need Docker, the x86 64 Bit Systems script, or both from the Install scripts page? (here)

It’s up to you if you want to use the install scripts or not, but I would recommend trying first with them as that is probably the easiest way to install them.

The install scripts install the software natively. Alternatively you can use the third party Docker solution but that is a third party installer not controlled by us directly.

I ordered an Android tablet but it won’t be here for a week. Am I able to access the web GUI directly through the Wyse in the meantime?

I would recommend using a GUI-less install on the Wyse to save resources. These generally come with preciously little hard drive space and an OS with GUI is probably going to use up almost the entire HDD by itself.

But any other networked device, like a PC or phone (even an iPhone) will be able to access the web GUI. An Android device is only required to run the mapping software.

Thank you both for your time and help. I haven’t been able to work on this for a while but am resuming tomorrow. Hopefully I am able to figure it out.

I would recommend using a GUI-less install on the Wyse to save resources. These generally come with preciously little hard drive space and an OS with GUI is probably going to use up almost the entire HDD by itself.

I have Ubuntu installed on an external HD and the Wyse is running the OS off that. Is that not going to work?

If you’re using an external USB HDD that solve the space issue, but there is one concern.

High data rate devices like a USB HDD sharing a USB hub with the Kraken could cause excessive USB latency, which could result in USB sample drops, and coherency being lost.

It would be better to replace the internal drive instead.

I will have to give that a try eventually. I still have to figure out why it is not connecting to the Kraken at all, I can not get 127.0.0.1 or localhost to load at all. I’ve tried reinstalling a few times but no luck yet. Not working trying it with the android app either, unfortunately.

If you could please check the logs and see if there are any errors there.

All fixed, up and running now. Thanks anyways. Problem looks like g++ 12 did not correctly install the first time.

Ah okay seems like fixing that issue isn’t a priority for Ubuntu. May need to make a separate special script in the mean time.